21 ways to make your travel more sustainable
Travel isn’t all about exploration, it also carries with it many responsibilities. The footprint you leave on the place you’re visiting should be either invisible, or be due to helping, not because of harming anything or anyone.
So, with that in mind, how can you make your travel adventures more sustainable, both on the planet and your pocket?
1. Pack less – less weight for the plane to carry
2. Travel closer to home
3. Carry a washable container you can use for takeout and doggy bags
4. Reusable shopping bags when you travel
5. Bike and walk over other forms of transport within cities
6. Reuse your towels in hotel rooms
7. Carry a mug instead of drinking out of polystyrene coffee cups in hotels
8. Use fair-trade goods, e.g. coffee etc
9. Take travel wash and wash clothes by hand rather than using hotel laundry facilities
10. Look at using the bus to nearby places, e.g. if you’re planning on hopping countries that are
11. Look at using the bus to nearby places, e.g. if you’re planning on hopping countries that are interjoined
12. Don’t print out any tickets that you don’t need. Most things you can just show on your phone screen
13. Save water – take shorter showers, and turn off the tap when brushing teeth etc
14. Turn off electric, e.g. lights when you leave the room and don’t leave things charging all night when it’s not needed
15. Put the ‘do not disturb’ sign on the door so the maids don’t feel obliged to clean every day.
16. Use second hand maps etc, and return once you’ve used them.
17. Buy local produce, rather than from large supermarkets
18. Give something back. If you can volunteer on building work or maybe teaching whilst you’re in a destination, do it.
19. Only buy items that are made from sustainable materials, be aware of what you’re buying.
20. If you’re going on a walking trip, take a rubbish bag with you, and never leave trash behind, take it with you.
21. Stick to marked trails when exploring, as you might disturb the local wildlife if you stray.