A Holiday From Your Holiday
This post is by our friend Nicky who sometimes contributes to our site.
For those of you who don’t know, I am currently living in Turkey for a year. Despite where I am, and how much I love it, I am actually planning another trip, to a totally different place. Call it a holiday from a holiday, if you like!
It isn’t a big holiday, it’s really a city break, but I’ve decided to go to Barcelona for four days.
Well, I’ve always wanted to go, I found a cheap flight, and I figured why the hell not!
Despite the fact I’m loving my life here in Marmaris, I think a change is as good as a rest. Barcelona is also totally different to beach life here, and I’m excited about the differences I’m going to experience.
I’m travelling with a friend, so we’re going to have a girly weekend, full of fun, frolics, and cocktails!
Planning the break has been fun in itself, and we’ve enjoyed pouring over Google and various websites, figuring out what we’re going to spend our time doing. It’s quite nice to be doing this whilst sat on a beach with a nice cold beer!
So, what are we going to do in Barcelona?
1) Well, I do like football, so we have to go to the Nou Camp and go on a tour. You might think this a little strange, but you never know, I might bump into Cesc Fabregas and live happily ever after!
2) Shopping! I’ve checked out the shops already, because I do love a bit of retail therapy! You can’t really shop to the same extent here in Marmaris, so I’m looking forward to a really big department store, full of glittering aisles and rails and rails of clothes! I’m easily pleased.
3) Las Ramblas. It has to be done! I’ve heard about the pickpockets here, but I figure if you keep your wits about you, and listen to your common sense, it will be fine. I love exploring little shops in places like this. I’m also excited to see the street entertainers, and to sit and have a coffee and watch the world go by.
4) The Cathedral. I’m not a big one for architecture and all that, but you do have to check out the major landmarks of the place you’re visiting, and I’m quite intrigued to see the famous cathedral. My friend wants to see all the buildings and Gaudi architecture, so a walk around the city should please her and her plentiful camera moments.
5) Glitz and glamour! Whilst it’s easy to have a night out here in Marmaris, it’s not the same as a city night out, with upmarket bars and cocktails – something like Carrie Bradshaw in Sex and the City! We will be partaking in a real glam night out, with heels and jewellery, and drinking a cocktail or eight!
Finding a cheap flight and somewhere to stay hasn’t been difficult, but I think that’s maybe because I’ve simply had more time to search. The flight was easy, Skyscanner helped me out with that one, and even though I’m having to fly indirect via Istanbul, I’ve decided I’m going to have a couple of night’s there before I jet off, meaning I get two holidays from my holiday!